The Senior Research Fellow (SRF) at Huyck Preserve is an integral part of the Summer Research season at Huyck Preserve. The SRF is a seasonal position for a Ph.D scientist who acts as the primary mentor for the four Odum Interns, supports the weekly summer Thursday Night Lecture Series and other scientific activities, and participates in other public and educational programming at the Preserve.
Status: Currently Accepting Applications
Deadline: December 6th, 2013
Please submit applications and letters of reference to: email@example.com
The Huyck Preserve seeks to recruit an experienced scientist to occupy the position of Senior Research Fellow at the biological research station for summer 2014. The selected candidate will act as the primary mentor for undergraduate students participating in the Preserve's Odum Internship in Field Ecology; provide support for other scientific and educational activities; participate in public outreach and special events; and conduct on-site independent research appropriate to the Preserve's mission and its history of field studies ( e.g. research in ecology, evolution, terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems, population dynamics, and animal behavior). Applicants must have completed a Ph.D. in a natural science related field and have substantial experience in field-research and student mentorship.
- Selecting and mentoring the four undergraduate Odum Interns in Field Ecology (provide training in scientific inquiry, methodology, analysis, writing and implementation of original research projects).
- Assisting the Director of Conservation Education and Research in inviting speakers for the summer (June-August) Thursday Lecture Series
- Running the Thursday Lecture Series including the pre-lecture pot luck BBQ dinner
- Guest lecturing for the Preserve's residential high school program Wildlife Ecology Research
- Participating in public outreach while in residence such as giving a presentation at our Annual Science Symposium or Thursday Night Lecture Series, providing an article for our bi-annual newsletter, or leading a guided public hike
- Assisting the Director of Conservation Education and Research with the Annual Science Symposium in late July
- Conducting an on-site independent research project
Duration & Terms
$10,000 stipend plus housing and access to all Preserve properties and station facilities for 10-week residency summer 2014 (with concentration in mid-June through mid-August). Additional arrangements may be made for undergraduate or graduate advisees.
Previous Senior Research Fellows
How to Apply
Deadline: Friday December 6th, 2013
- Candidates should submit a complete application packet to firstname.lastname@example.org with candidate's last name_SRF_APP in the subject line: e.g. "Smith_SRF_APP." Complete application packets include:
- A curriculum vitae
- A statement of mentoring/teaching experience and philosophy
- A statement of research interests that includes a brief description of how this position will enrich the candidate's research program
- The names and contact information for two professional references
- Additionally, two letters of support from professional references should be e-mailed directly to email@example.com with the candidate's last name_SRF_REC in the subject line: e.g. "Smith_SRF_REC".
The Huyck Preserve is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, age, disability or veteran's status.